"No research without action, no action without research"
Kurt Lewin (1890-1947)
Father of Modern Social Psychology
About My Research
My primary areas of expertise are psychosocial aspects of sport, exercise, and health. My recent projects include both quantitative and qualitative research on the roles of social agents (e.g., coaches, parents, peers) in motivation for youth sport and physical activity, as well as athletes’ motivational and psychological skills profiles across sports.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Chu, T. L., Zhang, T., Zhang, X., Thomas, K., & Gu, X. (2020). School environments predict Hispanic children’s physical education related outcomes through basic psychological need satisfaction. Journal of Learning and Individual Differences, 80, 101844. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2020.101844
- Chu, T. L. (2020). [Review of the book Applying educational psychology in coaching athletes, by J. J. Huber]. Sports Coaching Review, 9(1), 119–121. https://doi.org/10.1080/21640629.2019.1694807
- Lauer, E. E., Dietch, J. R., Chu, T. L., Barton, M., Martin, S. B., Petrie, T. A., Greenleaf, C. A., & Taylor, D. J. (2020). Psychosocial well-being and insomnia differ by weight control behaviors among healthy-weight adolescent females: Brief report. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-020-09872-x
- Lee. J., Zhang. T., Chu, T. L., & Gu, X. (2020). Effects of a need-supportive motor skill intervention on children’s motor skill competence and physical activity. Children, 7(3), 21. https://doi.org/10.3390/children7030021
- Lee. J., Zhang. T., Chu, T. L., Gu, X., & Zhu, P. (2020). Effects of a fundamental motor skill-based afterschool program on children’s physical and cognitive health outcomes. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(3), 733. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17030733
- Zhang. T., Lee. J., Chu, T. L., Chen, C., & Gu, X. (2020). Accessing physical activity and health disparities among underserved Hispanic children: The role of actual and perceived motor competence. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(9), 3013. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17093013
- Oosting, A., & Chu, T. L. (2020). Opportunities for reducing racial bias in team sports. Strategies, 33(1), 41–43. https://doi.org/10.1080/08924562.2020.1681212
- Sommerfeld, B., & Chu, T. L. (2020). Coaches can utilize parents to optimize youth athletes’ sport experience. Strategies, 33(2), 25–31. https://doi.org/10.1080/08924562.2019.1705219
- Chu, T. L. (2019, July 10). Learning writing by rewriting: Providing multiple deadlines for a final paper. Noba Blog. https://nobaproject.com/blog/2019-07-10-learning-writing-by-rewriting-providing-multiple-deadlines-for-a-final-paper
- Chu, T. L., Martin, S. B., Petrie, T. A., & Greenleaf, C. A. (2019). Relations between sociocultural pressures and weight control behavior among early adolescent boys. Psychology in the Schools, 56(2), 163–175. https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.22212
- Chu, T. L., & Zhang, T. (2019). The roles of coaches, peers, and parents in athletes’ basic psychological needs: A mixed-studies review. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 14(4), 569–588. https://doi.org/10.1177/1747954119858458
- Chu, T. L., Zhang, T., & Cheung, H. Y. (2019). The roles of need-supportive social environments in university physical education courses. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 17(3), 212–231. https://doi.org/10.1080/1612197X.2017.1339727
- Chu, T. L., Zhang, T., & Li, H. (2019). Roles of activity type in exercise motivational profiles and behavioral frequencies among college freshmen. American Journal of Health Studies, 34(2), 57–68.
- Chu, T. L., Zhang, T., Thomas, K. T., Zhang, X., & Gu, X. (2019). Predictive strengths of basic psychological needs in physical education among Hispanic children: A gender-based approach. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 38(3), 233–240. https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.2018-0126
- Gu, X., Zhang, T., Chu, T. L., Keller, M. J., & Zhang, X. (2019). The direct and indirect effects of motor competence on adolescents’ mental health through health-related physical fitness. Journal of Sports Sciences, 37(17), 1927–1933. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2019.1605652
- Gu, X., Zhang, T., Chu, T. L., Wang, J., Zhang, X., Nelson, L., & Brown, K. (2019). Exploring racial disparities in physical activity and quality of life through an expectancy-value perspective. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 6(5), 973–980. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-019-00598-5
- Gu, X., Zhang, T., Chu, T. L., Zhang, X., & Thomas, K. T. (2019). Do physically literate adolescents have better academic performance?. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 126(4), 585–602. https://doi.org/10.1177/0031512519845274
- Lee, J., Zhang, T., Chu, T. L., Zhang, X., Weiller-Abels, K. H., & Keller, J. (2019). Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program and physical literacy: Exploring preservice elementary classroom teachers’ perspectives. Advances in Physical Education, 9(4), 314-330. https://doi.org/10.4236/ape.2019.94022
- Chu, T. L., & Zhang, T. (2018). Motivational processes in Sport Education programs among high school students: A systematic review. European Physical Education Review, 24(3), 372–394. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1356336X17751231
- Chu, T. L., & Zhang, T. (2018). Sport club participation and health-related outcomes in college students: Comparisons by sex and academic classification. Recreational Sports Journal, 42(1), 33–47. https://doi.org/10.1123/rsj.2016-0030
- Chu, T. L., Zhang, T., & Hung, T. M. (2018). Motivational profiles in table tennis players: Relations with performance anxiety and subjective vitality. Journal of Sports Sciences, 36(23), 2738–2750. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2018.1488517
- Zhang, T., Gu, X., & Chu, T. L. (2018). Social networks, sedentary behavior and physical activity. MOJ Gerontology & Geriatrics. 3(5), 376–377. https://doi.org/10.15406/mojgg.2018.03.00149
- Chu, T. L. (2017, October 10). From “me” to “we”: Promoting team cohesion among youth athletes. AASP Blog. http://www.appliedsportpsych.org/blog/2017/10/from-me-to-we-promoting-team-cohesion-among-youth-athletes
- Zhang, T., Moore, W., Gu, X., Chu, T. L., & Gao, Z. (2016). Promoting children’s physical activity in physical education: The role of active video gaming. Journal of Teaching, Research, and Media in Kinesiology, 1, 1–13. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1088275.pdf
Chu, T. L. (2020). Table tennis. In J. Nauright & S. Schmidt Zipp (Ed.), Routledge handbook of global sports. Routledge.